Sunday 22 March 2020

Patchwork Post - small cushion 3 - reflecting on previous work


This morning I have been considering my efforts yesterday!
Take a look at the photo of the finished block - you will see that one of the large owls outlined is a pretty good shape (possibly improved if I had used a different colour thread?) but the second one looks as if he has fallen from the tree in the Hundred Acre Wood, during the storm. 
So! To remedy this I shall make an appliqué patch to cover his offset face! This occurred because, following the success of the first owl, I didn’t bother to tack the template into position before sewing, and the inevitable happened! Yes, it moved and I have a wonky owl. Unpicking is an option, but tricky because the holes remain even though the thread is removed. Moral of the story- always tack or carefully pin stuff in place! 
I’m thinking of making this a story cushion, as I happen to have used some owl fabric. Either from Winnie the Pooh or The Owl and the Pussycat. If I didn’t want to make the cushion, it could be one block as part of a quilt - with other parts of the same story represented, or other stories. That would make a great quilt for a story loving child! (Or adult, come to that!)

Using a zigzag stitch, altered on the machine so that the zigzags are very close together, I have sewn my owl shaped patch over the wonky owl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment