Monday 23 March 2020

Patchwork Post - small cushion 4

Now it’s time to make the other side of the cushion cover, building on the techniques already learned.

We are making a chequerboard block. I have chosen to use 4 fabrics - you could use just 2 or 6! The layout of your individual squares is up to you. Here is the plan I made: 
This represents my four fabrics, cut into 6 strips 7cm x 42cm.
 Be very careful to cut each strip accurately.

Here is my plan for my finished design:

Sew the strips altogether, lengthwise, right sides together, taking great care to maintain the 5cm seam allowance.


Press the seam allowances to one side.
(You can see that I had to join some of my strips)

Cut this block into 6 strips, 7cm wide, at right angles to your stitching.

Turn every other strip around, so that you achieve your design.

Sew these strips together, right sides together. Pin each seam very carefully so that the seams align. (As you did when making the pin cushion)


Sew very carefully, leaving a 5cm, even, seam allowance.




Now your second block is ready to be quilted! 








No comments:

Post a Comment