Friday 29 January 2021

To join or not to join again in April 2021?

 

  • Here is a question and some answers, copied from a Facebook conversation of the UWI group: food for thought as you make up your own mind.

    As a Committee we are concerned that members will not be rejoining as they consider, under the present circumstances, the Subscription is too high - have other WI’s had similar ‘rumblings’?

    I feel it also goes back to the reason why people join the WI. If you joined *only* for friendship, and, even though *I* am perfectly happy with Zoom and phone calls, there is no doubt that making NEW friends is pretty difficult under the current circumstances, people may not wish to continue their membership. They may also feel, as I do, that the vaccination isn't going to get things back to any sort of normality for a long time - it is not a magic cure-all. No amount of Zoom meetings, goody-bags, subscription reductions, etc. are going to work for those people. Many people just came because they wanted to make a couple of new good, close friends ... they are pretty indifferent to the rest of it. I am lucky, I had already made those friends, and they are sustaining me through all this madness ... and I am sticking with the WI out of loyalty and interest and because I am looking forward to the amazing parties we're going to have when this is all over! I even attended the meeting last night about setting up a virtual WI - another interesting path that I think I will join as well.
  • I know that my subscriptions are due once a year so I put aside £1 each week in preparation for WI membership. 

    This year I have 12 extra weeks to save up. By the time my subscription is due in April I will have £20 in surplus - I can either keep that for 2022, or take a dual membership with a second WI.
    Drama? What drama? 


No comments:

Post a Comment